- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal flour – 2 tblsp
- Ghee/butter – 4 tblsp
- Sesame seeds – 2 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Salt & water – as needed
- Oil – For deep frying
- Grated coconut – 3 tblsp
- Soak the rice for at least 2 hours and drain the water,spread it in a clean cloth or news paper to absorb the excess water.
- Grind it to a fine powder in a mixer.
- Sieve the flour(you can add the remaining coarse rice to the next batch grinding).
- Heat a pan and fry the flour in medium flame until u see steam coming out from the flour. Just for a minute to say approximately.
- Fry the urad dal flour until nice aroma wafts.
- Give a fry for coconut gratings too.
- Just fry till excess moisture is gone. Now sieve again both the roasted flours together.
- Mix rice flour,urad flour,coconut gratings,sesame seeds,ghee,asafoetida and salt well.Add water and make it to a soft pliable dough.
- Take small pinch and make into ball,try not to make it perfect round or not to give pressure while rolling. Do it gently.
- Repeat until you finish all the dough and arrange in a news paper or dry clean cloth.Let it be for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in kadai and add the seedais. For safety stand away from the stove for the first batch.Divide and cook in 3-4 batches.Cook in medium flame. stir in between to ensure even cooking.
- Cook until the shh…sounds ceases.Drain in paper towel.Store in airt tight container after cooled down. The flavour is in its best when eaten from the next day.
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.