- Raw mangoes-2
- Crystal salt-4 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder-1teaspoon
- chilli powder-4-5 teaspoons
- Dry roasted fenugreek powder-2 teaspoons
- Asafoetida- a generous pinch
- Sesame-oil-4 tablespoons or less
- Mustard-2 teaspoons
Cut mangoes into fairly big cubes.
Add salt and store in ceramic container for two or three days.
If making large quantities the mangoes can be sun-dried and put back in the brine.
Take oil .splutter the mustard . Put turmeric powder, asafoetida and chilli powder in the oil and when cool add to the mangoes in brine. Shake well . This is a watery pickle which can last a year if the mangoes are sun-dried.
To prepare chilli powder at home, take a little oil and roast the chillies till they become crisp not black. Cool and powder in mixie.
Dry roast fenugreek seeds, cool and powder coarsely.
Courtesy : Vyjayanthi Rajan
General guidelines for healthier food for both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.