Yesterday, 18/9/2015 was Day-4 of Thoopul Swami Desikan’s Manmatha varusha Tirunakshatra mahotsavam. In the morning at about 7.30 a.m. swami Desikan came as Paramapadanathan. Dressed in vadamali(dark-) pink silk veshti with green border with one leg folded and the other dangling swami was decked with kasu malais and other ornaments. There were vangis(armlets) and pendants studded with gems.haand the pin sevai(back sevai) revealed panchayudha arnal (hip ornament ) and pendants. Swami Desikan was a perfectionist and so was the alankaram.
After visiting Kanchi swami Desikan returned to Thoopul.We went to Thoopul at about 10.00 a.m. At the entrance the hamsa vahanam was being fixed for the evening purappadu. Close to the temple there is Parakala Muth which is undergoing renovation. We had darshan of Hayagreeva and swami Desikan and went inside swami Desikan’s temple. Deepaprakasar and Maragathavalli Thayar are the reigning deities of Tiruthanka or Thoopul but it is better known as the avathara sthalam of swami Desikan. We had another look at swami in his paramapadanatha tirukolam. Preparations were going on for swami’s tirumanjanam. Water was being filled in huge silver gangalams, the dravyams (materials) like milk, curds, honey, raw coconuts, sandal and turmeric powder were kept in order. All the fruits offered by devotees were being cut . A congregation of devotees came from Chennai and chanted swami Desikan’s stotras. As the curtain opened we were in for a surprise-tirumanjanam would be done to Maragathavalli Thayar it being a Friday followed by swami Desikan’s tirumanjanam. Silver mirror, chatram (umbrella), chamaram and fan upacharams were done for Thayar and swami. The tirumanjanam was beautiful to behold specially the sahasradhara tirumanjanam. Tulasi garlands, jasmine flowers adorned both and ghatiyam was recited. Everyone present felt blessed to be present in Thoopul that day and receive theertham, srisathari and prasadams. One thing praiseworthy about Kanchi divyadesams is the systematic distribution of prasadams.
For detailed pathrigai for the utsavam, please visit: Thoopul Swami Desikan Manmadha Varusha Thirunakshatra Mahotsava Patrikai
For previous day’s utsavams, please visit the following links:
- Thoopul Swami Desikan Manmadha Varusha Thirunakshatra Mahotsavam Commences
- Thoopul Swami Desikan Manmadha Varusha Thirunakshatra Mahotsavam Day 1 Evening : Chapparam
- Thoopul Swami Desikan Manmadha Varusha Thirunakshatra Mahotsavam Day 2 : Morning Purappadu
- Thoopul Swami Desikan Manmadha Varusha Thirunakshatra Mahotsavam Day 2 : Surya Prabhai
- Thoopul Swami Desikan Manmadha Varusha Thirunakshatra Mahotsavam Day 3 : Morning Purappadu
- Thoopul Swami Desikan Manmadha Varusha Thirunakshatra Mahotsavam Day 3 : Chandra Prabhai
- Thoopul Swami Desikan Manmadha Varusha Thirunakshatra Mahotsavam Day 4 : Morning Purappadu
These are Videso Clips and some of the photos taken during the occasion…
Writeup & Photography : Sri Vyjayanthi & Sundararajan