- Different type of green chilies –each one (Jalapenos, Banana chilies, Paprika chilies, Anaheim chilies)
- Tomato – 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Sambar powder – 3 full teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Tamarind – a small lemon size (soaked in water)
- Toor dhal – 1/4 cup
- Asafetida – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil – s tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Dried red chili – 1 cut into half
- Curry leaves – a few
- Wash and cut the chilies as lengthwise.
- Pressure cook the Toor dhal with turmeric powder and set aside.
- Extract about 1.5 cups of tamarind water from the soaked tamarind and set aside.
- In a small, deep pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds. After the mustard splutters, add Asafetida, all chillies, dried red chillies and curry leaves and fry for few minutes.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and wait for them to cook well.
- After the tomatoes get cooked, add the tamarind water, cooked Toor dhal and salt and bring the mixture to a boil. Once it starts boiling, add sambhar powder and boil for about 10 minutes and turn off the stove.
- It tastes good with rice, Idli’s, Dosas, and any such tiffin items.T
Thanks to: Sadhanas Kitchen
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.