- Rava (sooji/semolina) – 4 cups
- Curd (little sour) – 2 cups
- Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger (chopped) – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Cashewnuts – 10
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee – 4 tbsp
- Heat a tablespoon of ghee in a pan and roast rawa till a nice aroma comes and transfer it in a bowl. Add curd to it.
- Again heat a tablespoon of ghee , add Jeera then pepper and ginger pieces, curry leaves to it and fry for a while and add to the batter.
- Finally fry the cashews in ghee and add them to batter.
- Now add salt and mix the batter well. It should be slighter thicker than idly batter. Allow it to sit for sometime (less than a hour).
- Grease the idly mould with ghee, then pour the batter and steam it for 10 mins.
- Idly chilli powder or coconut chutney goes along very well with Rava Idli.
Note : We can add grated carrot or finely chopped vegetables, peas to it.
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.